Saturday, August 22, 2015

Relaxation, Renewal and Idea Regneration

Malden Park
It's late August already, and all this summer I have been in a restless state. I am still searching for new ideas for another book; not only that, my urge to draw and paint has been affected. I'm sure I will probably survive this, but I just want to DO IT!

Malden Park
Yesterday one of my girlfriends and I went to a nearby park, Malden Park, for those who are familiar with this area. We wandered around the paved trails (for wheelchairs), and I purposely didn't take pictures of the many Canada Geese who populate this, and many other parks in Windsor, especially around the water areas. Malden is a large park, there were several people also visiting, but it was certainly not crowded.

Near the parking lot there are several picnic tables to bring lunch, but we chose not to fight with the wasps who seem to congregate, especially by August! (Canada Geese can also be grabby.) This last week and a half has been very warm, including a few days of heat warnings, in Windsor and most of South-Western Ontario. There was a big rain the day before we went out - that evening was windy, which dried the ground and yesterday's cooler temperatures felt comfortable.

Malden Park
Walking in wooded areas speaks to my soul. It is quiet, except for honking geese flying in formation overhead. I am reminded of Who is really in charge of my life, my creative self, and and Who has given me this gift, and most of all He is in charge of when and how I use it.

My girlfriend and I discussed our families, our faith, and the comfort in silence and as much solitude as a person can find in the city.

First thing every morning I take the time for a bible study; this last few weeks I have been trying to focus on my creative self and how it is governed by my faith. I have been studying the tools of my daily chores - dishes, laundry, floors, dust rags etc. I am seeing the tools of these chores as not only what we see, but as instruments to further our work for God.

A  West End cove by the Detroit River.
I look at the paring knife in my hand, and think, I am not just cutting a carrot, but I feeding my family. When I sharpen my worn-out pencil - I am using it to draw a work someone will, hopefully, find pleasing to see. I find this to be a good way to focus on everyday work as a more meaningful endeavour.

My girlfriend and I enjoyed our time in the park just walking where we wanted and enjoying the weather and the works of God.

Well, I will sign off for now, but for those who really want to see Canada Geese, here is a picture from a West End Park - by the river!


Have a great day -

Phoebe Brown.

No comments: